The next Chapter in my book is about Temperance. Most commonly we refer to temperance from a material perspective and living within in our needs and means but our excess is not merely material. We've grown accustomed to displays of anger, pride, and power. The word extreme is commonly used to describe sports, entertainment, and adventure.
I found this chapter informative. Something I don't think about often because the lack of temperance has become such a normal thing in society today. It brings me back to basics and more aware of myself.
Most of the short stories from this chapter are far too long to add to the blog so I picked a short poem.
Poem of Praise
Swift things are beautiful:
swallows and deer,
and lightning that falls
bright-veined and clear,
rivers and meteors,
wind in the wheat,
the strong-withered horse,
the runner's sure feet.
And slow things are beautiful:
the closing of day,
the pause of the wave
that curves downward to spray,
the ember that crumbles,
the opening flower,
and the ox that moves on
in the quiet of power.
Elizabeth Coatsworth
No comments:
Post a Comment