If it feels as though I have been wishing, talking, praying, and dreaming of spring for months it is because I have. For some reason spring has become a very important season to me this year. Most years I am indifferent about the upcoming season and I just let nature take it's course in her own time. This year however, I have been aching for green grass and sunshine.
I should be seeing these two soon...
This morning I was awakened by the light smooth Coo of a morning dove. She sang outside the window in long intervals, as though she knew I wasn't quite ready to get up but needed too. Some people (my husband) do not like to wake to the sound of birds but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I am a bird enthusiast. I have bird books galore and feeders outside my window so I can watch them sing, play, and eat. I watch the fence posts as I drive down country roads hoping to catch a glance of a meadow lark and when I see a flash of color in the sky I have to investigate.

The keeper of the feeder.
Winter is my favorite time to observe the birds because they are more visible. This winter we had the usual guests to the feeder but the most comical thing that happened this winter came from a strong willed Blue Jay with a little attitude. I have noticed when the bird seed reaches a certain level in the feeder they all stop eating from it. Well, this winter the bold blue jay would let me know about it. At first, I thought this feisty bird was just being loud and obnoxious but a pattern emerged. When ever the feeder would reach that low point the blue jay would sit on the deck railing facing the front window and holler like crazy! I finally put two and two together and realized she was letting me have it for not filling the feeder immediately. Once the feeder was filled order was restored.
The woodpeckers were the biggest eaters this winter. I have a pair of Downy Woodpeckers and a Red bellied Woodpecker that came frequently. The Dark eyed juncos, Nuthatches, and sparrows visited as well. This morning it has been quiet outside the window but it isn't quiet outside. The snow has melted and the birds are everywhere. The sun is out and the fog is lifting. It is going to be a good day! Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment