Friday, April 9, 2010

Lessons and Schedules

So construction schedules are not new to me but usually I am on the receiving end and I know when I should be done. My father and good friend Cheryl (both Construction Engineer grads from ISU) reminded me that a responsible general contractor should have one for numerous reasons. The reasons I won't list but they make sense.

So today in my spare 5 minutes I shot one together on word using a format my good friend shared with me. I think I am over thinking this schedule a bit. I tend to get too detailed sometimes when really all I need is a basic schedule to start with.

I am learning something everyday.

Lesson 1: Over communicate EVERYTHING! Not everyone is on the same page. What you tell one person doesn't always get relayed to the person doing the work. Talk to the person doing the work! Don't assume they got the memo... :)
Side Note: This is a good lesson to learn in the beginning not the end of the project.

Believe it or not, I am actually enjoying this. When I do projects it is usually such a small part of the overall scheme. I forgot how much detail goes into every one's part of the big picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment